|When:||Saturday, April 15, 2023|
|Where:||Hale Education (80 Carby St., Westwood MA)|
|Cost:||$7 per person|
|Registration deadline:||April ???, 2023 (No refunds can be given after this date.)|
The New England Orienteering Club's Spring Scout-O will be at Hale Education on Saturday, April 15, 2023 starting at 9 am. All Girl Scouts, Scouts BSA, and other youth are invited to try the sport of orienteering and practice their map and compass skills. Cost is $7 per person, with online Registration and Arrival Time signup required by April ???, 2023. The event will occur rain or shine or snow (plastic bags for maps will be provided).
- Register your group. (Note that this event always fills to our limit before the April ??? deadline.)
- NEOC Waiver must be signed by EVERY participant and brought to the event.
- Hale Education may require an additional Health Attest, depending upon COVID guidelines in April.
- Avoid crowding — send only one representative to the pavilion to register and collect maps. Each member of your group will be given a map for a White and a Yellow course. There will be two White and two Yellow courses available, plus a (challenging) Orange course. Scouts may run as many courses as they wish, but must report to the Finish by 3pm.
- Timing/results — your group’s choice: either using pin-punching/clock or QR codes/smart phone with data. Those using pin-punching can report their results to the NEOC website so we have a complete list of results from both timing methods.
- Even if your youth do not finish a course, check back in at the Finish so that we do not go looking for you!
- Bring — a signed NEOC waiver (link above), compass, whistle & watch, water bottle, snacks/lunch, and weather appropriate clothing. Unless very cold & wet, sturdy sneakers are the preferred footwear.
- Volunteers are needed! — please let us borrow 1 adult or older scout for 1 hour to help with parking, manning registration, starts or finishes, reporting course times on website, or instruction.
- Instruction — if you request instruction when you register, we will have volunteer instructors to go over basic orienteering skills and take your group on a short training course.
- COVID guidelines — All attendees must comply with the latest state, local & council COVID-19 Guidelines.
- Parking fee waived — the $10 Hale parking charge is covered by your Scout-O fee. All drivers should put their name/cell number/troop on their car dashboard in case we have to move cars around.
- Adult Leader training will be Saturday April 9, 9am-11am at Upton State Forest. No additional fee, but you must let Karen know numbers by April 7th so there is enough time to print the maps.
- More orienteering — the controls for White, Yellow, and Orange will be left up until dusk on May 8th for folks to do the courses as a BYOM (Bring Your Own Map) event. Come back and re-use your maps. Note you will have to pay for parking if you return. You are also welcome at other NEOC events as listed on the NEOC schedule.
For questions about Hale Education or camping, please contact Hale Education or call 781-326-1770. (Smaller troops may want to consider sharing a site to reduce the cost.)